Sunday, July 7, 2013

extra credit.

So I am really adamant about this whole introspection thing. & I've come to the realization that.........


I don't give myself enough credit.

Credit for the fact that I've been taught the Yoruba language - in fact went through a period in my childhood of having a "tyrannical father", endless hours of Yoruba writing, speaking, and reading, and even poetry performances (yes, all for the sake of us learning the Yoruba language, despite not having been born and raised in the land of its origin).....for me to brush it off as if it's not a big deal, or even worse- tell myself and allow others to tell me that I can't speak it well?

Credit for the fact that I am pushing through these German courses, working towards a German degree,  & I even went to Germany for a few months earlier this semester. Yet. no credit,  because I'm looking at the glass half empty, rather than half full (looking at the German I have yet to learn rather than what I already know).


Credit for the fact that I am an amazing dancer, despite thoughts from others stating proffering otherwise.


Credit for the fact that I am truly a beautiful girl that's working hard to do what it takes to possibly heal the (literal & metaphorical) scars from puberty.


I am constantly looking it what I am not, rather than looking at what I am. It's so easy to apply such truism to material things (be grateful for what you have, etc),  yet when it comes to my own self, it becomes, as Kirk Franklin's album is titled, The Fight of my Life (I am referencing him to also note that he and I had similar struggles...but God! :] )


I may not be able as flexible as I want to yet, nor as fluent, but it's about time I pat myself on the back for what I have achieved thus far, while encouraging myself to continue striving to achieve the goals I've set for myself.


*pats back*



BolaBijoux

No comments:

Post a Comment