Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Coupe Decale. No girls allowed?

I didn't blog yesterday, one because my laptop fell off the table, so I wanted it to heal, and two, because my filling came out while biting on a (CVS brand) Sour Jack candies. So I was bummed about that last evening.

So before I go into my spiel.
Two cool songs to add to your playlist.

Omboio X Perola (Angola)


Awilo Longomba for the ladiessss! (aka idk the name of the song, lol) (Congo)




Spiel time!

Disclaimer: Feel free to prove me wrong.

So I have been watching many Cameroonian/Ivorian/Congolese music videos, and I've been noticing a trend: among the above mentioned African countries (not to mention many others), gender roles are still a strong part of the culture, and such even transcends into the realm of music. Despite how newer artists from these countries are moving away from this, I am noticing the trend of the girls in the videos holding down the role of the video vixen, while the guy is the one doing the cool coupe decale moves to the music (especially in Cameroonian music videos). A perfect example can be seen in the Ivory Coast's 'Molare' (see below). Being that I LOVE coupe decale, I was looking to do the moves the females were doing, but instead, I was copying the males moves. If anything, females do a simple whine their waist routine (in a fast pace), while the males contribute so much creative energy to their routines ("energy" literally & metaphorically speaking). Being that I am not Ivorian/Cameroonian/Congolese, It's hard for me to determine whether or not females are fine with being the pretty faces of the videos, leaving the amazing s**t to the males (excuse my french...lol what an appropriate phrase for this blogpost). I mean, The 'video vixen' subject is one that transcends all cultures, and it's not the concept of having video vixens in a video that I am worried about. It's the concept of what I perceive to be an understood established rule among their socities that it's socially unacceptable for females to coupe decale (the male way) that is the issue.. Thankfully, other dances across Africa aren't as limiting, speaking of the Azonto in particular.

At parties as well as in the video's I've been watching, I've never seen a female energetically and creatively coupe decale as the males do (especially DJ Arafat's crew...bruh watch this...back flips, somersaults, beatbox...all in the name of coupe'ing). Therefore, I dey fear small that if I were to do the same at a party, I would be relegated, rather than celebrated (I mean I would be expected to twerk only instead, no matter what kind of dance I want to do. But that's another topic for another day).



In no way am I a feminist/women's rights activist..... I just want to Coupe Decale in peace (the male way....leg kicking, somersaulting, spazz attack looking moves and all).



BolaBijoux

No comments:

Post a Comment