Saturday, March 2, 2013

poor,but sexy.

I was told that the mayor of Berlin (Wowereit) once used these adjectives to describe this city.
"Berlin ist arm, aber sexy."

They use "sexy" the way we use "turn up". such an overused colloquilaism.

Other words that are used in every day language here.

-geil!
-cool!

I can't think of any/ I haven't really been around Berlin youth to really here the slang they use. I heard they use "schwul" (gay) alot too.

But yea, let me elaborate more on how I can really see this statement to be true.

Berlin is not only a city where tourists are aimlessly flocking about on a good sunny day (I've been hearing english alot more lately on my various journies, now that the sun is out. haha). It's also a city full of young people. Young people studying, working, or just trying to make it pursuing their artist passion. It is a very hipster city, as I have heard it to be. I, not being hipster, do not indulge in any hipster activities, but I do watch from afar. & It's such an interesting culture. The berlin culutre that is. Also very diverse, with splotches of cultural communities here and there- like the place where I went to do my eyebrows *no comment on the actual experience itself, nor the outcome*...I believe it is a Turkish community. & then the area where I go to church....seems Turkish, but might be Polish...I be seeing some Polski conversation (or what I think to be Poliski). So there are older people here to with families, and what not, but the young at heart outweigh the old. So that's part of the reason for the "Sexy". Another reason is the fashion. My goodness. If Berliners are "poor" they don't look like it. If the city of Berlin looks poor (due to the somewhat grungy, historic look of the buildings and the streets, and also the "dirtiness" of the streets), the people sure don't. Berliners aim to look rich, at all times. Man.Their fashion sense is not on point in my book, but best believe they know how to spend their money on clothing that will last a good 5 years. Shops like Zara, H&M, Vero Moda, and Mango, are liek every day shops women shop at. & the motive is not really to look en vogue (if anything, their eyewear may be the only thing that has a name brand on it...and it looks good, i must say) or to say they are wearing such and such brand. It's the durability that matters to them. The quality. & through that mindset, they are always sure to spend their money on the nicer clothes in life, and they can also have their cheap groceries to thank, among other things, for allowing them to do so. Poor, but Sexy.






P.S. Hibernating time is over,  the sun is out, it's getting warmer & babes is definitely putting on her tourist hat & is ready to explore every nook and cranny of Berlin. Already took a few pictures when I mistakenly stumbled upon a good tourist spot that resembles Paris and Italy/Rome (as if I've been before. lol)

Bola the Explora!

Pictures to come soon!

-OB <3

No comments:

Post a Comment