Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Wheinnachts Markt

Christmas Market.

Swear fam I think I spelled wheinnachts wrong. All of my former "frau & herr"s (previous German lecturers) will now come and cane me for my subpar german graduate ways.



Anyway, sorry for my absence. I actually almost forgot about my proclivities for blogging until I realised that I needed something to back up the picture I was about to post on Instagram. Yes, I am low-key making this post for the simple reason that my picture needs more substance.

In my defense, I do normally post, but I really do not consider myself a blogger, for the sake of not wanting or liking to be categorised. It raises too much expectations, standards start to be required to be followed, and dat.


& I'm just here like....blah blah blah I like to write.


Sha, let's get to the main gist of this post.


It's CHRISTMAS MARKET SEASON! 


Christmas markets are a traditional open festival and marketplace that takes place all over Germany, celebrating the holiday season. One can visit different vendor stands that are made out of logs and thus have a very medieval Deutsch feel to them (to preserve tradition, of course).

So yep, at the market one can buy different handmade goods, confectioneries, "traditional" German food
  (I got into a semi-heated debate with one of my colleagues over whether or not there was a such  thing as traditional German food...he was almost about to insult me, I had my "your fada" bullet on standby with my finger on the trigger...lol just kidding the debate did not go that far). 

& most importantly, well to a young twentysomething millennial like myself:

Beer & booze galore, babe. 
Beer in the form of, well, beer
& booze in the form of
Gluhwein - the trademark alcoholic beverage of the average German 

So yes, it is simply a time to enjoy as much food and beer as your wallet can allow with friends and loved ones. 

Story story: Interestingly enough, the city where I studied and completed my first year of this Masters programme (Birmingham, England) hosts an exported form of the German Christmas Markets, called the Frankfurt Christmas Markets & it was simply amazing. I was praying that I would find bae before the fest ended on the 22 of December (the market ran for over a month, I had enough time, lol) so I could be doing "his & hers" just like almost everyone else that was there. But alas, bae was elusive, so hanging with my roommate worked out just fine. 



Of course, like the sartorial stud that I am, I just had to put an outfit together for my festivities commencing tomorrow and leading into the weekend. 

here's to humble beginnings.



I love patterns and symmetry (or symmetrics), and this outfit allows me to perfectly blend the two. The scarf has to be my favourite piece though (trending fall/winter '16), with the shoes coming in a close second.

Finally, one of my favourite sweaters to keep me warm, even if the gluhwein can't.



Can't wait to share on my snapchat my exciting adventures perusing the markets with my buddies dem tomorrow & Friday.
( No, that was not a shameless plug to get you to follow me: funmibabs )







OluFUN

distant admirations: The first 3-4 songs of Iyanya's album "Applaudise". Olamide's album, even though I haven't heard it yet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment