Friday, December 1, 2023

Living Single

 

I was reminded of the show Living Single yesterday, one of my favorite shows growing up. Similar to Girlfriends, I am rewatching (currently on episode 6) and wondering how this show kept my attention at such a young age. None of the topics or continuity points for the show were relevant to this 13 year old kid (ok dating, maybe). But to be fair, I started watching Living Single in my mid to late teens.


Watching the show now in my early thirties, I see alot of the things I go through in my day-to-day life mirrored on-screen. Again, the amount of Black sitcoms in the 90’s and early 2000’s  is highly under discussed. I wonder what the push for this was, as there is nearly not as much nowadays (TV/streaming dynamics have largely changed to be fair). Kelsey Grammar is considering a reboot of Girlfriends, as was reported earlier this week. 

Nonetheless, it’s always great to indulge in nostalgic media here and there, and dare I say that sometimes they tend to be better than present day media (tiktok, I am directly talking about you). 



Funmi Oke

No comments:

Post a Comment