Tuesday, May 16, 2023

The Lying Wikipedia Page.

OK, I lied. For posterity sake, to revive the wordsmith in me, and to re-ignite my interest in writing, I shall continue this blog. I was asked earlier last month "What will you add to your Wikipedia page this year?", almost as a way to think inwardly about what consequential, life-changing thing I will accomplish this year. I couldn't give an answer to that question. I also didn't feel compelled to give an answer (kudos to giving myself grace) for many reasons.' Forone, I believe that there are years that asks questions, and there are years that provide answers. Which leads neatly to the second reason. Two, everyone knows that every year will not be seminal on paper. Every "great" person's entry on Wikipedia doesn't have a yearly accomplishment listed. So for me, passing the bar exam last year, joining the best law firm in the world, and concurrently opening up my own practice is enough copy for my Wikipedia entry for the next two or so years (quality over quantity, baby). Despite not having an answer, I did feel compelled to list out a few projects I plan to continue this year to essentially create that copy for the years that said endeavors would bloom (e.g. "in 2025 xyz project garnered close to 1 million subscribers" as said accomplishment). For now, given that I am still in my transition/settling in phase, I think two projects are enough to take on in the coming weeks and months. Project #1: "the Immigration Esquire" - I started this Instagram page in 2021 to encourage my network to be more informed about immigration law and policy, not just in their home country, but around the world. The plan now is to move this blog, if you will, past the social media platform. I will create an actual blog anchor that will provide more in-depth content, which will also be distributed across all social media platforms. I will also include a component that provides resources for the younger generation to get more interested in immigration law (paying it forward) - which will also provide scholarship opportunities for undergraduate students interested in immigration law. This is really exciting. Project #2: It is not as fleshed out yet, but I want to consolidate my name brand. more on this later. I look forward to seeing these projects to its fruition. Although I may not have a wikipedia accomplishment this year, I am laying the groundwork for the years that will provide those answers. -Funmi

No comments:

Post a Comment