Tuesday, February 17, 2015

FGM

"Federal Government of Maiduguri"

or 


[Female Genital Mutilation]




The quote text is the full-length version that was running through my head when the caseworker first mentioned it in her dialogue. My goodness, I blame it on my recent incessant obsession with Nigerian quasi-domestic affairs (quasi because of its borderline "international affairs" characteristics, as is the case with most developing countries. That meaning does not even make any sense, as local government is the apt. I mean, of course being that I actually knew what FGM was, I quickly caught myself or my thoughts. I quickly caught myself in mid thought and corrected myself accordingly. Yet, of course me being me ( and there is absolutely nothing wrong with being me, and this phrase is by no means meant to be a pejoratively derisive, so no please don't be quick to wave the 'LSE' flag in my face, cos I will tear that shit to pieces) I let it slip in the conversation when the volunteer caseworker wanted to confirm that I knew what she was talking about ( & bless me, I did). But of course, there's redemption, one that is reminding of the special grace and favor of the most high (caps to the first letters, natuerlich). Redemption came through my comfort in the conversation, and my grasping of the concept of human beings being susceptible to making mistakes. See, the sooner one is able to grasp such, it's easier ( at least it is for me), to correct oneself even before the full mistake itself happens. The same goes for my propensity towards breaking things. It's as if I have a seemingly innate character of carelessness. But alas, another 'lightbulb'. It is learned. and can be unlearned. It's all about how one perceives the issue. If you hold the issue on a pedestal, unintentionally goes without saying open parentheses before unintentionally close parentheses after saying then the situation/issue will seem as if it can't be overcome, causing you to take it personal to the point of hurting your self-esteem for no reason. It's as if we marry our self-esteem with almost everything that we do, when in fact its value (hopefully it is high...if not, amend as needed) should not be determined by anything that we do or do not do.



Funmi

No comments:

Post a Comment