Monday, July 3, 2023

Maame’s flatmates

 Here’s a review of the first fiction book I finished for the summer, Maame x Jessica George + other stories: 

(n.B/ please don’t expect a review from every book I finish. As the spirit leads.)


Maame’ was a nice read. The protagonist really dealt with both internal and external struggles, all leading up to the passing of her father. My only criticism is the seemingly random insert of Maame inheriting 50,000 p’s from her dad at the very end. I wish the author would let her remain “normal”, and not necessarily have her come into wealth. I get why though (to show that all her hard work was not all for nothing, and equally, that her mother and brother’s nonchalance yielded consequence). I nevertheless would have wanted the focus of the protagonist’s growth to be purely emotional. 


That aside, one of her encounters with her flatmates got me thinking about my own prior experiences with flatmates. My most memorable flatmate was my Spanish flatmate from Catalonia, whom I shared a flat with while studying in the UK. Upon entering the new year, 2015, she told me a new year's tradition from her culture was to put as much grapes in your mouth. I will share its significance below (once I research it because I forgot). I will never forget her nor those moments. We ran along the Birmingham canal together, ate together, went shopping together, and most importantly, laughed together. Here’s to people that I’ll probably never forget - because of their kindness & the memories shared.





xo tito

No comments:

Post a Comment